Search for a news or an article already published



Express Search





Search using map

18,000 addresses in 138 countries...

Tunisia 21/08/2019

Food waste reaches 50% for fruits and vegetables

Send by email to a friend 
Printable version 
According to FAO figures food waste in the Middle East and North Africa is estimated at 250 kilos per person per year. In Tunisia the cost of food waste would reach the equivalent of 5% of household food expenditure.
 
 
 
During the recent event "Food Loss and Waste Reduction and Value Chain Development for Food Security in Egypt and Tunisia" in Tunis, FAO representatives unveiled statistics on the Middle East and North Africa.
 
 
 
For the Middle East and North Africa, the amount of food lost is about 1.3 billion tonnes per year. That's 250 kilograms per person / year and the equivalent of 60 billion USD lost. For North Africa only losses and wastage are estimated at 210 kilos per year. Of this total 85% are related to losses between producer and seller, the remaining 15%, is associated to the consumer.
 
 
 
Waste and losses are 15% to 20% for cereals, 16% for meat, 27% for fish and seafood and 50% for fruit and vegetables.

 

source : news.gnet.tn

GOLD Member
Highlighted
Gold Members
Mexico Tropic Fresh - Mexico - 1. Lime - 2. Avocados - 3. Blueberry
Morocco Palmagri - Morocco - 1. Blueberry - 2. Raspberry
Italy Profood srl - Italy - 1. Fruit - 2. Vegetables
Spain ARC Eurobanan - Spain - 1. Pineapple - 2. Mango - 3. Papaya
Ghana Moonlight Fresco Ltd - Ghana - 1. Banana - 2. Mango - 3. Pineapple
Mali Agroplus-Mali - Mali - 1. Mango - 2. Sweet potato - 3. Dry fruit
Spain Garcia Ballester (SL) - Spain - 1. Citrus fruit
France Midi Europe - France - 1. Garlic - 2. Carrot - 3. Celery
Turkiye Ani Tarim Fresh Fruit Export Limited Co - Turkiye - 1. Pomegranate - 2. Cherry - 3. Black fig
Become Gold


Losses in production, losses during storage and transport, losses on sale and losses to the consumer (Photo: fao org).
   
Send by email to a friend 
Printable version 
Fructidor.com ad.

Fructidor.com ad.

Fructidor.com ad.

Fructidor.com ad.


^ Top of page